Welcome to DenverBridge
3/6/2021 – Tournament Updates, More Media Coverage
As you may have read, the ACBL has cancelled all sanctioned bridge tournaments through the end of August. With an abundance of caution, most people feel this was an appropriate decision, and our Unit Board agrees.
This means that our May Regional and our July Sectional will not be held on a face-to-face basis. The sequence of reopening face-to-face games will start with club games, then Sectionals, Regionals and finally Nationals, based on the successful draw of these events.
The very successful Denver Regional Pro/Am will be held online (May 25th at 1:00PM MDT) again this year. Please visit the Pro/Am page for more information or to sign-up. We are continuing to look into offering other special games which may be held online.
Denver Bridge Facebook
A menu link has been added to access the Denver Unit Facebook page. We encourage Unit Members and Friends of the Unit to “follow” this page, and to post items of interest to other readers. Also, if you feel like you could help by moderating this page, contact the webmaster.
More Media Coverage
Denver Unit Members Elly Larson, Shelbie Bastiaans, and Sheryl Siegel were interviewed March 5th on the anniversary of the first COVID deaths in Colorado. The FOX31 article and video is available here.
2/5/2021 – Bridge thrives despite COVID !!
1/12/2021 – Happy New Year !!
See below for new information below for information on the Denver Silver Linings tournament and the new Jan Janitschke Award.
Denver Silver Linings – online tournament – January 23rd-24th.
Results available here.
This tournament, co-sponsored by Denver Metro Bridge, will be held on Bridgebase (BBO) in lieu of our January sectional tournament. There a separate flights available for Open and for 499ers (neither player in the pair may have more than 500 masterpoints). Each day will have two sessions one at 10:00 AM, the other at 2:30 PM. You must play with the same partner for both sessions in day in order to be eligible for overall daily awards.
In addition to session Silver points, the Unit will credit each overall daily winners’ (pairs playing both sessions in a given day) BBO account, as follows:
- Open Flight – A, B, and C brackets
- $20 for 1st place overall
- $15 for 2nd
- $10 for 3rd
- 499er Flight – A and B brackets
- $20 for 1st place overall
- $15 for 2nd
In order to play, you must have a BBO account. If you have not yet played a BBO game at Denver Metro Bridge and have not yet otherwise registered your BBO User Name, please complete the registration form on the DenverBridge.org > Tournaments > Denver Silver Linings.
Cost per session is $5/player. On tournament day, please make sure that you and your partner sign on to BBO 10-15 minutes before game time, ensure that you have sufficient funds in your BBO account, navigate to Virtual Clubs > ACBL – North America then select the game to register you and your partner.
We look forward to ‘seeing’ you at the tournament.
Jan Janitschke Award:
As indicated in the Fall edition of Table Talk, this new honor to be awarded annually in memory of the late Jan Janitschke, a bridge legend and member of our Unit. This award to recognizes a Unit Member for “Outstanding teaching or mentoring contributions to the membership of Denver Bridge Unit 361.”
Please consider nominating a Unit member you feel is deserving of this honor based on contributions during 2020. Answers to the following questions will be considered by the award Committee to establish the winner:
- What has this person done for advancing bridge education and mentoring in the Denver area?
- How has this person impacted you and/or the bridge community?
- Who has contributed time and energy to help less-experienced Unit members become better, more confident bridge players?
To make a nomination, please use the form at DenverBridge.org > Members > Janitschke Award Nomination. Submissions will be accepted through January 31, 2021.
Thanks for your participation!
12/1/2020 – Unit Election Results
The votes have been tabulated for the 2020 Denver ACBL Unit #361 elections. Results and information may be viewed under the MEMBERS tab here.
11/16/2020 – Unit Status
You may have received an email from ACBL reporting a ‘phishing’ scam that happened to some of their members’ emails. Additionally, our Unit President, Rick Gardner, was informed that someone recently sent emails using his name which requested that the recipient purchase gift cards for charity.
- Please know that Rick and other Unit #361 Board Members will NEVER use their position to solicit money or charitable contributions or ask you to spend money on their behalf with an email.
- When receiving questionable emails, please check the sender’s address as a clue to its real source. Please contact us if you have questions about any solicitation message you receive from a Board Member.
Future Sectional Location
Jefferson County Fairgrounds is no longer available for our sectionals. Our new location is expected to be Arapahoe County Fairgrounds. Arapahoe County has outlined favorable terms. We think it will work well for our future sectionals.
March Sectional Cancelled / Regional Planning
Due to COVID, we have determined that our March 2021 Sectional will be cancelled. We are also considering an option of moving our 2021 Regional (usually held in late May) to a date later in the year. We continue to watch progress on vaccinations as we make further scheduling decisions. We want to make sure that we are all safe the next time we meet face-to-face.
Unit #361 Election
If you have not already voted, we encourage you to cast your ballot in the Unit #361 election. Voting ends at midnight November 30, 2020. DenverBridge.org > MEMBERS > 2020 ELECTION BALLOT
Unit Facebook Page
Use this link to access the Unit Facebook page. You may use the page to post items of interest to Unit Members. Please use courteous and reasonable discretion.
11/1/2020 – Denver Unit Elections are currently taking place !!
Please cast your vote before November 30th, 2020.
9/26/2020 – Update
Even though face-to-face bridge in clubs and at tournaments has been limited, the business of the Unit continues.
- The Fall TableTalk has been published and is in the process of being distributed.
- The November Unit elections are coming up, with a new twist – online voting (keep reviewing the MEMBERS pages for the latest information). In addition to voting for Unit Board positions, please also review the additional question of Bylaws modifications.
- The ACBL has pushed back director support for all tournaments through February (the earliest possible tournament that the Unit could hold is our regular March Sectional).
- Regional plans are continuing with Julie Clark transitioning into the Regional Chair position and working with the outgoing Chair Wayne Eckerling.
- The tournament site committee, headed by Rick Gardner, is hard at work to select a site to replace Jefferson County Fairgrounds for our next Sectional.
- Elly Larson – at Denver Metro Bridge – has taken the lead for exploring online bridge options, and providing great options for online play against local talent.
- Website modifications continue.
We hope that as Unit elections approach members avail themselves of information in the TableTalk and at various locations on this website to make informed decisions. Online voting will be enabled on the morning of November 1, 2020.